'The Hoar Stone' in Steeple Barton parish was almost certainly a burial mound, a round or more likely, a long barrow. It was broken up for roadstone by a tenant farmer in 1843. The new owner of Barton Abbey, Mr. H. Hall (of Hall's Brewery family) gathered all the broken stones together and enclosed them with iron railings.
"Demolition of 'cromlech'" was recorded in Potts MSS and "ruin of Druicidal altar" was recorded in Gardner's and Kelly's directories. A nineteenth century description (before it was demolished) reads "2 side-pieces and a lintel, probably a simple terminal chamber or blind entrance".
The iron railings have long gone, but the stones are still visible from the main Banbury to Oxford road, on the west side of the road by Hopcrofts Holt.
O.G.S. Crawford, Long Barrows of the Cotwolds, p215
Gardner's Directory (1852)
Kelly's Directory (1891)
Potts MSS, Banbury Museum
W. Wing (1845) The Antiquities and History of Steeple Aston, p27
A. Beesley (1841) History of Banbury
Daniel (1950) Prehistoric Chamber Tombs of England and Wales
Corcoran, in Powell et al, Megalithic Enquiries in the West of Britain (Liverpool, 1969)
Field Investigations by County Archaeology in 1972, 1978 and 1983
Click on picture to see a larger image
Hoar Stone, Steeple Barton, near Hopcrofts Holt (2006)