Site Location: South West Oxfordshire
Related Achive: Manning
Segsbury camp is an Iron Age hillfort located to the west of Letcombe Bassett. Documents in the Manning archive refer to this site by its old name 'Letcombe Castle'.
Excavation at the site by Dr Phene in 1871 discovered a cist grave on the south side of the hillfort rampart. The floor of the grave was lined with flat stone slabs and the sides walled with flint. It contained a shield boss and fragments of an urn or drinking cup. Other finds included human bones and flint scrapers. It has been suggested that this was a secondary Anglo-Saxon burial placed at the camp.
The hillfort was most recently excavated in 1996 and 1997 by the University of Oxford School of Archeaology, at which time part of the rampart and ditch were excavated. (Find out more about these excavations)
G. Lock, C. Gosden & P. Daly (2005) Segsbury Camp. Excavations in 1996 and 1997 at an Iron Age hillfort on the Oxfordshire Ridgeway. Oxford: University of Oxford School of Archaeology Monograph 61
Click on picture to see a larger image
Photograph of Segsbury Camp taken by Major Allen on 30 April 1933 (Ref Album 3,26)
Photograph of Segsbury Camp taken by Major Allen on 20 February 1934 (Ref Album 6,20)
Section of the bank at Segsbury Camp during excavation in 1997 (courtesy of C. Edbury)
Section of the ditch at Segsbury Camp during excavation in 1997 (courtesy of C. Edbury)