Site Location: North Oxfordshire
Related Achive: Manning
The Manning documentary archive mentions Ilbury Camp.
The hillfort in the parish of Deddington is a pear-shaped contour fort enclosing about 6 acres. The eastern half is almost completely ploughed out. The west side is still well preserved, covered in trees and scrub.
Aerial photography places the entrance at the south east; the gaps at the west and south look like entrances, but are probably modern.
There was once a village at Ilbury, all that remains is the farm. Surface finds of Iron Age, Romano-British and Medieval pottery have been found in the past.
W. Page (1906) Victoria County History of Oxfordshire, Vol II, p311
Sutton, Oxoniensia XXXI (1966), p34
Click on picture to see a larger image
Ilbury Camp looking towards the east (March 2006)
Ilbury Camp looking towards the north-west (Feb 2006)