Site Location: North-West Oxfordshire
Related Achive: Manning
The Manning documentary archive mentions Idbury Camp. It is a roughly circular plateau fort with the land falling away to the west and east, with good views all round the neighbouring countryside.
The camp is north-west of the villages of Milton and Shipton under Wychwood, on the Oxfordshire/Gloucestershire border. It has univallate defences enclosing about 9 acres and the entrance was at the north-west. The fort is a scheduled ancient monument. Part of the bank can just about be seen on the left side of the road leading down to the village.
W. Page (1906) Victoria County History of Oxfordshire, Vol II, p315
Sutton, Oxoniensia XXXI (1966), p28.
Click on picture to see a larger image
Idbury Fort taken by Major Allen on 12 March 1933 (Ref Album 1,7)
Idbury Fort taken by Major Allen on 19 June 1934 (Ref Album 7,41)