Site Location: North-West Oxfordshire
Related Achive: Jope
Ascot D'Oilly Castle is located on the north side of the village of Ascott under Wychwood and was excavated by E.M. Jope.
Part of the remains of the castle are visible from the public footpath. The motte (mound) can just be seen between the farm buildings. Earthworks, which are probably fish ponds and wide bailey ditches, can also be seen to the north-west and west as you walk up the public path.
Documentary sources suggest the castle was built around 1129 but was demolished soon after 1175. There are fragmentary remains of a stone tower which had been deliberately demolished to within six feet of its footings and the mound smoothed off.
The castle was excavated by Jope and Threlfall in 1959 when twelth century pottery was discovered; the site was not backfilled and the tower foundations are still visible.
The site is now a scheduled ancient monument. The castle is on private land and permission was kindly granted by the owners to photograph the parts of the castle inside their grounds.
There was another castle at Ascott, called Ascott Earl, this is now to be seen as a slight mound in a field to the south of the village.
W. Page (1906) Victoria County History of Oxfordshire, Vol II, p322
Jope and Threlfass, Antiq. Journal, Vol XXXIX nos. 3-4
Mid. Arch, Vol II (1958), p195
Click on picture to see a larger image
Ascott D'Oilly Castle looking towards the east, from the public foothpath (March 2006) See a closer view
Ascott D'Oilly Castle mound (March 2006)
The remains of the tower at Ascott D'Oilly Castle (March 2006)
Interior of castle mound at Ascott D'Oilly Castle (March 2006)