Site Location: North Oxfordshire
Related Achive: Manning
The Manning documentary archive contains details of a number of Roman and Anglo-Saxon finds found around Adderbury during the nineteenth century.
In 1832 an Anglo-Saxon glass bead was found on a stream bed at Adderbury. The bead was presented to the Ashmolean Museum in 1848 by Dr Buckland.
A number of Roman bronze objects, including a bracelet, the bowl of a spoon and part of a cylindrical box, were found close to the Great Western Railway at Twyford Bridge in Adderbury in 1854. Prior to this, between 1835 and 1840, a number of Roman coins, including one of Antoninus Pius, were found nearby. Then in 1866 burnt stones, Roman potsherds, a bronze armilla (bracelet), a pair of compasses and some bones were found in "black soil" close to Bloxham Grove.
A.Beesley (1841) A History of Banbury, London, pp19-20.