Site Location: South Oxfordshire
Related Achive: Manning
The Mount at Henley on Thames was a folly erected in Henley Deer Park in 1731 by John Freeman of Fawley Court. He constructed it to look like a barrow.
Excavated by Col. North in 1932, who expected to find a Bronze Age burial, all he found was a Roman pot, presumed to have been put there by Freeman. A tiled chamber of chalked blocks containing a Latin inscription written on glass recording the building of the mound by Freeman in 1731 was also found.
Until 1974, when the feature was destroyed for sand and gravel extraction to build a new barn, the mound was circular, 29m in diameter and about 3m high.
The Mount is marked on the ordnance survey map of 1926.